Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hello everyone! For the readers who aren't familiar with who I am, my name is Kjerstin, a community sociology and Spanish double major. I am preparing myself for a dynamic change as I will immerse myself into the culture and lifestyle of Córdoba, Argentina for six months. I am filled with a cornucopia of emotions - excitement, fear, nerves, and hope. Where will my time in Argentina lead me? Only time can tell.

I feel like I have a unique story that makes me more inclined to travel. I was born in Norway, lived in Texas and Oklahoma shortly, grew up in Colorado, and attend Wartburg College in Iowa. I feel like at a minimum, I have experienced various climates. However, there are other reasons why I feel like I am a born world traveler. My parents are both from the United States - Minnesota and Ohio. However, they met one another while they lived on their own in Norway. My grandpa has been to SIX of the SEVEN continents - the only one left being Australia. I, myself, have traveled to seven countries so far (Norway, Sweden, Puerto Rico, Haiti, St. Martin, Ecuador, and Costa Rica). It's in my blood! I have been attracted to the opportunity to become breathless at beautiful scenery amazed by the various cultures.

 When I started college, I knew that I wanted to travel but I didn't know where. There is an entire world to go to! However, after being influenced by my wonderful advisor (shout out!) to join the Spanish program, I started to reevaluate my options. During my week-long visit to Ecuador during a mission trip, I felt drawn towards South America. In Ecuador, I felt that people were "real." People weren't constantly worried about checking their cell phone every three minutes or finding the computer to update their Facebook status. What was really important was living. "Living" involved appreciating the beauty of their country and always looking out for the family. I want that. I want to be able to "disconnect" from everything that fights for my attention. I want to take the opportunity to just focus on what is happening now and being able to appreciate each of those moments. That is, in my eyes, how life can be muy rica. Therefore, my quest for living my life began.


*The photo above is from my mission trip to Ecuador in 2008 with my church. Pictured is my group from Bethany Lutheran Church as well as the adorable kids who we worked with throughout the week.

I keep telling myself that 2012 is the year of adventure for me. There are going to be so many changes. Even though I feel like I have a good understanding of my surroundings right now, I am aware that as I struggle to grow while speaking a different language and living in una cultura extranjera, I will not come back the same person. Will this be what I need to finally know what direction I want to take my life and what type of career I want? Will I learn more about myself and what I find important? Join my in the adventure of a life time - COMING SOON TO THEATERS, JULY 3RD, 2012.

 

2 comments:

  1. Kjerstin,
    Vaya con Dios!

    Isaías 43 >>
    Isaiah 43 Spanish: La Nueva Biblia de los Hispanos (2005)
    1 Mas ahora, así dice el SEÑOR tu Creador, oh Jacob, Y el que te formó, oh Israel: "No temas, porque Yo te he redimido, Te he llamado por tu nombre; Mío eres tú.
    2 Cuando pases por las aguas, Yo estaré contigo, Y si por los ríos, no te cubrirán. Cuando pases por el fuego, no te quemarás, Ni la llama te abrasará.

    3 Porque Yo soy el SEÑOR tu Dios, El Santo de Israel, tu Salvador; He dado a Egipto por tu rescate, A Cus (Etiopía) y a Seba en lugar tuyo.

    4 Ya que eres precioso a Mis ojos, Digno de honra, y Yo te amo, Entregaré a otros hombres en lugar tuyo, Y a otros pueblos por tu vida.

    5 No temas, porque Yo estoy contigo; Del oriente traeré tu descendencia, Y del occidente te reuniré.

    6 Diré al norte: "Entrégalos;" Y al sur: "No los retengas." Trae a Mis hijos desde lejos Y a Mis hijas desde los confines de la tierra,

    7 A todo el que es llamado por Mi nombre Y a quien he creado para Mi gloria, A quien he formado y a quien he hecho."

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorite prayers from evening prayer:


    Lord God, you have called your servants
    to ventures of which we cannot see the ending,
    by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown.
    Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go,
    but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us;
    through Jesus Christ our Lord. amen

    ReplyDelete