Wednesday, October 3, 2012

English in Argentina

Leading a game at English Talk!
 Hello everyone! Sorry that it's been a while since I've written a blog post. I've been busy and I've spent some time out of town as well. As I was waiting for my inspiration to hit me for my next blog post, it finally dawned on me that I should write about something that has been really important to me during my time here in Argentina: English Talk. Don't be confused; I am speaking in English down here. However, it's only when I participate in the originally Christian-based English-conversation group, English Talk (ET). This group gives the opportunity to people who want to learn English to come and learn and practice what they know. I found out about this organization from my friend Kelsey who studied down here three years ago and absolutely loved ET. Therefore, when I arrived, I had an open mind.




The first day I went to English Talk, I walked into this building called Luz Urbana and saw a group of people talking among one another, drinking coffee, and eating criollos. Immediately I was introduced to various Argentinians so that I didn't feel like an outsider or alone. After having the opportunity to talk to some new faces, I was introduced in front of the entire group (as we do to the newcomers ever week), and then the group came together and we played a game. The point of the game every week is to try and embarrass people in some way so that we learn to all become comfortable with one another. I remember during the first game, we needed a partner and I was nervous because I didn't know anybody. Suddenly, the tall guy next to me leans over and says, "You're welcome." That's how I met my friend, Tom. He's originally from Great Britain who's lived in Argentina for the past 11 years. To spare you all the details, we ended up playing two games that involved running, dancing, and counting. I had SO MUCH FUN. Playing games with a group reminded me of doing activities with service trip groups which I missed. Finally, after the games we divided up into chat groups. There are three different groups for people learning English to go to depending on their level: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. How do people know what group they're supposed to go in?

Hiking at Capilla del Monte with ET Friends
 Well, if someone does not understand anything that the announcer for the day is saying, they go to the beginning group. If someone understands more or less what the announcer is trying to say, they go to intermediate. Finally, if someone understands everything that the announcer is saying, they are part of the advanced group. Since it was my first day at ET, I decided to go to the advanced group. There were so many advanced learners that we split up into two groups. In my chat group that day, I met for the very first time Joaquin and Franco, now two of my closer friends here in Argentina. For thirty minutes, we talked about the idea of summer in small groups. Of course, not all the grammar is perfect, but people have the confidence to talk and share their ideas without being embarrassed which is great! To close the night, two girls who were in CC-CS last semester and had been a part of English Talk for their 6 months here sang a song because it was their last ET. It was amazing to see them show how they had been a part of something and it made me wonder if I would end up being one of them, showing my love for this program and having people there to support me. Who knows? I may be just like them when I leave!

Where I am now

Now I participate in ET almost every week. As a native English speaker, I have many options. I can stay in the advanced group and mediate conversation (which I do most of the time), or I can teach the beginning class or join the intermediate group. My main job is to be the person for people to go to when they have a problem with English or are stuck. There are other English speakers who come every week to do this too.

Additionally, I have found great friends who I spend lots of time with and will help me with my Spanish. I always look forward to Tuesday nights in order to spend time with everyone. In addition to regular ET, there are other activities that ET does. Every two week there is "Happy Hour" at which a group of us get together, drink mate (o terere) and talk for a couple of hours. It's so relaxed and it's always great to get to know everyone. Additionally, there is ET Espiritual every two weeks. During these gatherings, an English speaker will give a small message about a certain theme, will share a scripture, and then afterwards, the group talks about questions the speaker provided. I actually spoke last month at ET Espiritual and focused on the theme of service! I loved having the opportunity to share my experiences with people. Now, a piece of me is with them.

Frisbee Fun with Franco and other ET Friends
Photo courtesy of Joaquin Bazan

Last month, I was officially invited to be part of the English Talk organization group. Now I actually have responsibilities! Of course, I absolutely love it. I get to share my ideas on how to improve English Talk, spread the word about the program, try and recruit, and lead activities! I have been the game master for the night (which is perfect for me and I love it!), been the announcer of activities, and even helped plan a theme for ET! I have even gotten a group together to go hiking for a day and play frisbee for an afternoon! It's great! It's a wonderful feeling to have a community to identify with.

The Big Picture

 

Drinking mate at ET Happy Hour!
Photo courtesy of Joaquin Bazan

I really like the concept on ET. For starters, it shows the motivation that people have to learn another language and keep up with it! I really like their determination. I am also a little jealous though. They have a place to come to where they can practice with fellow learners. Why isn't there a place like this for me near Waverly? I know that people are embarrassed by making mistakes and don't have the confidence to practice - it's not like there aren't people who speak Spanish in the United States! I honestly just think that people don't have the desire to learn another language or realize how important learning another language can be. I feel the empowerment of learning a different language because I have so many more opportunities to communicate with other people across the world! Of course, there will be some challenges and difficulties in communication still, but I feel like the world will open up more and more if I continue to study the language.

I really need to make sure that when I return back to the United States that I continue to practice! Of course, I have my wonderful friends at ET who I can continue to talk to (shout out!). They always feel free to correct me whenever I am wrong or teach me phrases that are less formal. What's that next step though? We can only wait and see!



No comments:

Post a Comment