Sunday, December 2, 2012

The End is Near

Kayla, me, and Lili at the
cena de despedida de CC-CS
It seems like everyone is thinking about THE END. More specifically, the end of the world. Sadly enough, I am preparing myself for the end of part of my world - my time here in Argentina. Just like preparation for the end of the world, I am making sure that I spend time with the people who I care about the most here, I am starting to say my last good-byes, and I even have a bag of random items that I keep close to me that are filled with memories from Argentina. I have gone to good-bye activities with my program that included an elegant dinner with all of the lovely ladies from the semester. Some have left already, leaving a number of us here to continue living life as we know it here. At this point, I have finished most of my classes (with my last final being on Tuesday). This is it. This is the point I was waiting for. Do I feel different? Do I have wisdom to share with everyone? Do I understand who I am?

I am definitely feeling a little sad leaving Argentina. I have made great friends and created memories for a lifetime. Plus, I had the opportunity to improve my Spanish. What will really change about life though? For one, I won't be speaking Spanish all the time anymore which is a little bittersweet. I do enjoy practicing the language, but at times it is so much easier to express myself in my own language. Additionally, transportation will be so much easier. I will be able to drive my own car when I need to, and I can walk to class in less than 10 minutes every day. I will go back to eating three meals a day at "normal" times (instead of eating dinner at 9:00 PM earliest). I will always be connected to technology through one form or another.

No, I am not complaining about the fact that I wasn't always connected to the internet and that I had to walk/take the bus to school. The fact of the matter is that I lived a great life here with changes to what I saw as "normal." I have learned to adapt to my surroundings. It was always easy - there were always ups and downs. Sometimes the bus didn't come on time and sometimes I couldn't wait to eat dinner because I was accustomed to eating earlier. These "problems" of sort were really nothing in comparison to the amazing times that I have had down here.


In order to pay tribute to my time here in Argentina, here are some of my favorite experiences from these past 5 months:


1. LAS CATARATAS DEL IGUAZU, ARGENTINA


I am thankful for having seen one of the 7 Wonders of the World. It really was such an amazing site. It was the perfect day - not too hot, not too cloudy, and not too humid. We were walking through the jungle in the park when all of a sudden, we just heard them out of nowhere. We turned a corner, and there they were. The sound was beautiful. I was so happy to be in nature. I was away from all the buses, pollution and noise. Later that day, we got to take a boat ride underneath the falls. We got soaked but it was so worth it. I went into a waterfall!


2. ULTIMATE FRISBEE

I have been lucky enough to be able to play in a tournament and play with a team every week! I met people from Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and Uruguay playing frisbee. It really makes me work on my Spanish. At the same time though, it's an opportunity to spend time with friends playing a fun game. Plus, my favorite frisbee moment was being on TV when we were at the tournament in October. Additionally, I have taught some of my friends here how to play ultimate. They are going to go back to their own provinces and teach their friends how to play as well! It's really a sport that brings people together.


3. COOKING EMPANADAS


Me, Gustavo, and Joaquin cooking away!

One day, after acing one of my tests, I was relaxing with my friends drinking terere (basically it's mate + juice) when all of a sudden, my friend Joaquin thought we should all celebrate my academic success by making empanadas from scratch. Joaquin, Gustavo, and I were all crammed into the kitchen of Gustavo's apartment, working together to make empanadas criollas. They were filled with ground beef, onion, green onion, orange pepper, hard boiled eggs, oregano, and salt. Joaquin guided me as he helped me make the dough - instructing me how much flour/water to use and how to kneed the dough just the right way. Later that night, our friends Franco and Dani came over, and we all feasted on empanadas caseras, homemade empanadas! It's just an example of the many amazing times that I had with my friends.




4. RELAXING

I am not going to lie - personally, life here is much calmer than in the US. There is not as much pressure to have everything perfect and to do it all by a specific moment. Plus, people here make sure that they have time for themselves. They don't rush meals - fast food is not that fast. They take siestas (naps) so that they're well-rested. They make sure that even if they have a job and commitments, that they take the time they need just to reset. Drinking mate is a perfect example of how some people relax. Sometimes, I am so busy going and going that I don't take time to just breathe! I have to remember that I have to take care of myself as well!

Saying good-bye to a few friends at English Talk!

What am I going to miss the most? The people. The people here in Argentina really have taken care of me well. I have made great friends who have helped me create memories. I have heard many inspiring stories which has reminded me to continue to dream big because since I have made it through these past five months, I have the strength to do so much more! Most importantly though, I have received so much love. My friends are there to help me with anything I need. My friends celebrate with me. My friends relax with me. They are there for me. I know that once I leave, I probably won't see most or any of the again in my lifetime. The opportunity to get to know them and have them help me learn has really been enjoyable and been worth the time, effort, and money. I would like to let this end of my life here to be a new beginning for my life to come! I still don't have all the answers to who I am, but I know that I can live through the journey!

I would like to shout out to my friends I met in Argentina right here: Thank you for being in my life. You've made my time in Argentina one to remember. I hope that as we part, there might be some chance we might see each other again. Plus, if you're ever in the United States, feel free to give me a call!


No comments:

Post a Comment